SAPS NEWS: 19 Suspects to Appear for Durban Bomb Scares and Verulam Mosque Attack


News, Accidents, Robberies & Incidents
2 months ago

Joint Media Statement from Ministry of Police and  Directorate of Priority Crimes Investigation (HAWKS)South African Police Service

PRETORIA – Nineteen (19) suspects are due to appear at the Verulam Magistrate Court in connection with a series of the discovery of several explosive devices in Durban as well as the deadly mosque attack in Verulam.

Between March and August this year, Durban and surrounding areas were plagued with several incidents of placing and detonating of these devices including widespread hoax callers.

The 19 suspects were arrested last week Friday in and around Durban by an integrated team involving the Hawks (Crimes Against the State), Crime Intelligence, the Forensic Unit, the National Prosecuting Authority including other departments from the justice cluster.

During the arrest various items were confiscated including a readymade incendiary device.  Members also managed to rescue a victim who was found chained and malnourished inside a dungeon in one of the houses.  The victim is under police protection in one of the hospitals in the Kwazulu Natal province. 

The suspects are likely face charges of murder, attempted murder, extortion, kidnapping, contravention of the Explosive Act and arson. More charges cannot be ruled out.

Meanwhile, Minister of Police General Bheki Cele, said “Government has deemed the incidents very serious and they demanded a thorough investigation to bring the perpetrators to book. Nothing will distract or divert our attention from creating a safe and secure environment for all people of South Africa.

“I also want to reiterate the government stance and reassure South Africans that we, as the South African Police Service, will continue to do everything within our constitutional mandate to ensure that people are and feel safe," said Minister Cele.

Police Minister General Bheki Cele welcomed the arrests of the 19 suspects linked to incendiary devices and congratulated the multi-disciplinary team for tirelessly working to ensure peace and stability is restored in Durban,” Minister Cele concluded. 

The National Commissioner of Police, General Khehla Sitole and the National Head of the Hawks, Lieutenant General Godfrey Lebeya have added their voices in congratulating the team.

Ends.

Enquiries: Reneilwe Serero 071 492 0073; Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi - 0823732408

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SAPoliceServiceFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/SAPoliceServiceInstagram: https://instagram.com/sapoliceservice_za/YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SAPoliceServiceWebsite: www.saps.gov.za