Workers in the Western Cape will not join their colleagues in the rest of the country on Wednesday in taking part in Cosatu's national mass action against retrenchments and the recent V.A.T increase. Spokesperson for the trade union federation, Sizwe
Pamla, says unions in the Western Cape will, however, take to the streets with the same demands next Tuesday. Pamla says its central executive council last week decided to separate the two strikes: "In Cape Town the strike will take place on the 19th, next Tuesday. We've taken this decision because we want the strike to coincide with the budget that will be taking place the following day. At the centre of the mass action is that to fight
retrenchments we believe that we also need a change in how government takes policies during the budget speech. We want a budget that talks to rural and township economy, and small and medium enterprises."